After changing my topic for the final paper about a billion times, I think I finally made the final change…

In today’s society there are multiple avenues of social media that enter a social media user’s daily activities. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Tinder, Grinder, Blogs, Flicker, and even LinkedIn are all considered popular outlets of social media many active users access today either via the internet of through iphone usage. Social media users can connect worldwide without ever having to physically reach other users. A typical user has the ability to share information, pictures, news and any other wed based content far faster and on a grander scale than most broadcasting systems from the past. However, while social media offers a multitude of benefits throughout the digital world, there are still a number of downsides that may accompany the use of this kind of media. Because everyone that uses social media is connected so instantaneously, they are subjected to several backlashes that social media may produce. Instances such as, cyber bullying are one of the top occurrences that spawn from social media use. As described by an online bullying statistics site, cyber bullying is used in an attempt “to get another child or teen to feel bad about him or herself through electronic communication”…“and includes leaving demeaning messages on someone’s Facebook page (social bullying), uploading embarrassing photos, or spreading gossip or rumors through instant messaging and text messaging” (Cyber, 2013). This alone is one of the many repercussions over-sharing in social media may create. This kind of over-sharing, or excessive use of social media, can often reveal the darker side of a good thing.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

-Alysha

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. John Paul Varacalli on April 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Hello. This sounds promising. Cyber-bullying and the idea of oversharing, in my opinion, are compatible because cyber-bullying, which can often elicit emotional responses, can be seen as a form of oversharing.

Based on what you wrote, I am getting the perception that you probably also have to argue something. Maybe you can argue something like: “Internet-access makes it easier for people to overshare and bully others.”

2. Melissa on April 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Great topic! Also very current with state changes in education. New York State in the past year enacted a new legislation around bullying including cyber bulling. It’s called the Dignity For All Students Act (DASA) and it seeks to bring more equity and support to all students via revamped school/district codes of conduct and teacher preparation in anti-bullying among other things. More info can be found here:http://www.p12.nysed.gov/dignityact/

3. Alysha Rodriguez on April 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Thank you Melissa!!!! I will definitely incorporate this info into my paper. Greatly Appreciated.

4. Alysha Rodriguez on April 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you John! That was my argument. I’m hoping I can bring it together.

5. Mattheus Oliveira on April 14, 2015 10:01 am

This topic seems perfectly fine (and a serious one to address). I would just throw out a caution to talk about situations of an “overshare.”

What you will consider an overshare is up to you, but cyber bullying doesn’t necessarily need an overshare to happen.

6. Carrie Hintz on April 14, 2015 1:04 pm

I am very excited to see this paper develop! Good suggestions, everyone.

Name

Email

Website

Speak your mind