I think the fashion world can be a great example of what “oversharing” is. Especially in today’s world where the accessibility to certain types of realities just for the elite, is made possible only through social media.

Though designer collections may vary in style, one thing is common to all runways; the inescapable presence of social media .Both attendees and brands are using platforms like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and the new newly launched six second looping video service Vine to capture and share the best sartorial moments in real-time.

My research would deal with the advantages and disadvantages of “oversharing” in fashion, by following two fundamental aspects.

1. From what I understood in our class, the extreme sharing of life is not regarded as positive. We have seen some literal examples, and we have judged as “oversharing” (for some aspects) of their lives. I would like to understand how social media is taking over the fashion industry. How are we conditioned by what Instagram says considering with our own criteria a fashion show, a fashion designer? or a celebrity for example. Today, can we have our own judgment or not?

2. Through oversharing, can I reach a certain level of knowledge? For example, watching online runway shows, red carpets, photoshoots on the web, the fashion word could be more accessible. I don’t have other instruments to penetrate that world. So…what kind of advantage can we obtain? And also, the judgment we can give about a brand…is it actually improved through other people’s words? Maybe yes; for sure through the experts words.

Nico

Comments

4 Comments so far

1. Carrie Hintz on February 23, 2015 4:01 pm

HI NIco,
    At the moment, I don’t see how this relates to the course theme of “oversharing.” I think you are defining “oversharing” as just “sharing”–and that doesn’t seem right at all.

Oversharing is the “excessive” sharing of personal detail–autobiographical detail. Your proposal mentions social media, but no examples of what I would call oversharing. I look forward to discussing this further, but you might want to make sure you think about the course themes and the course focus before we talk…Carrie

2. Carrie Hintz on February 23, 2015 4:10 pm

But, Nico, this COULD work if you were researching an example of real oversharing in the fashion world–if a designer, model, promoter or celebrity talked about some aspect of their lives in a way that some felt was shocking or distasteful….that could be a good research project.

3. Nicola Certo on February 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Dear Prof. Carrie, I perfectly understand what you are saying.
    I will look for examples of that as soon as possible.
    I actually think that I could find a lot of examples…the fashion world is helpful to understand our themes.
    Thank you for your advices!

4. Carrie Hintz on February 23, 2015 5:24 pm

I am sure you can find many wonderful examples and I am very eager to hear about them!

Name

Email

Website

Speak your mind