by: Shirley

Franks’ Question:
1. Why do people feel the need to anonymously post things that don’t seem to be controversial or embarrassing? I did not consider any of the posts to be oversharing.

My response:

I found some of the posts to be very shocking. While I’m not sure if they fall under the umbrella of oversharing I can see how they might relate if there were multiple posts from the same person which would be considered excessive. The pictures risk shame to the author and their family if the author of the posts were discovered, they are extremely private and they appear to offer a confession about events that have or continue to transpire in their lives.

There were some that I came across that seemed like cries for help to me. Some of the pictures and captions regarding abuse were shocking and made me very uncomfortable, e.g. The one of the guy being stabbed by his father at 19 or the one with a picture that looks like a depiction of Jesus with the caption that Harry Potter calms me down when I’m suicidal or the one with someone wishing they had lung cancer so their mother would stop smoking. All I kept thinking about as I viewed those pictures in particular is what can do as a viewer to help?

Comments

1 Comment so far

1. Carrie Hintz on March 3, 2015 2:10 pm

Your remarks on “risking shame” are extremely interesting here!

Name

Email

Website

Speak your mind