I suggest this article on “The Wall Street Journal”, called Thank You for Not Sharing, What Triggers People to Reveal Too Much; Avoiding the Post-Conversation Cringe, by columnist Elizabeth Bernstein in which she explains the causes of the oversharing and how to control the impulse. Is it really just an impulse?

“Experts say oversharing often happens when we are trying subconsciously to control our own anxiety”, is this the only way to control our anxiety?

I think this article is very interesting, especially for a psychological review of the oversharing’s field. I think it’s important knowing the causes that bring people to overshare also from a psychological point of view.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323826804578466831263674230

Comments

3 Comments so far

1. Nicola Certo on March 7, 2015 1:22 pm

Sorry, this is Nico

2. Carrie Hintz on March 9, 2015 2:08 pm

These works of popular journalism can be very interesting to read. I don’t think there is a lot of depth in the article about the question of anxiety, which is a pity, because I thought it was a really promising angle. I will look around to see if there’s anything scholarly written on the topic, and I hope we can discuss it further in class!

3. Mattheus Oliveira on March 10, 2015 2:09 pm

I think we could benefit to have more scholarly conversations around the psychology of over-sharing moments. This article is a quick way into that conversation.

However, the lack of proper citations makes me question how much we can trust this piece on its own.

Name

Email

Website

Speak your mind