Life Writing through Blogging by Adolescents
By: Shirley P. Grant

For my research paper, I would like to look at life writing through personal blogging. My primary research will focus on a blog by a teenager that is written in the form of a personal diary. The blog is called, “The Life of a Troubled Teen.” The entries start with, “Dear Diary… ”

I am interesting in looking at this teenager’s blog to see if the information posted is considered oversharing? My primary research questions are: Does having the autonomy/ freedom to use one’s voice in a public sphere encourage adolescents to overshare information about themselves to others? If so, what types of information are they most likely to share, i.e high school experience, challenges with parents, relationships, friendships, and/or sexual encounters. Are there specific topics that are overshared and others less so? Does this blog represent average teenager behavior?

A few scholarly that will be utilized as references include:
1) Online Journals as Virtual Bedrooms – Young People, Identity and Personal Space
2) Are Blogs Putting Youth at Risk for Online Sexual Solicitation and Harassment?
3) Online Communication and Adolescent Relationship
4) Adolescent Weblog Use: Risky or Protective?

I am also interested in information pertaining to guidelines for creating and maintaining blogs and any privacy guidelines for adolescents that may prevent others from uncovering their true identities.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you kindly.

Comments

2 Comments so far

1. Carrie Hintz on April 14, 2015 1:05 pm

I would love to see the full citations for the sources you are using…maybe upload those into the class dropbox…it will help me guide you in your research a bit.

This is a very good topic and I look forward to seeing your work develop…

2. Shirley P Grant on April 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Professor Hintz,
    I have created a folder in our MALS Class folder entitled, “Life Writing through Blogging by Adolescents.” I have attached the four ariticles I mentioned and an additional one. I have a few others that I am looking at but am uncertain if I have too many.

Shirley

Name

Email

Website

Speak your mind